Back Pain (Spinal Care)
More than four out of five of us will suffer from chronic back pain, at some point in our lives and every year one out of five of us will consult our GP about it.
But in many cases Ramsay hospitals can offer effective treatments for those with persistent back issues.
Lower back pain
Typically, back pain is concentrated in the lumbar (lower back) region which takes most of the strain of our lifestyle. The pain can be associated with stiffness, and sometimes muscle spasms and reduced motion.
Some people are more likely to develop back pain because their lifestyle puts a particular strain on their back. In other cases back problems may be related to age - such as degeneration of the discs in the spine which cushion the vertebrae.
Much back pain is described as non-specific (not diagnosed as due to a particular condition) and may settle after conservative management over a period of weeks. Sufferers are often recommended to try over-the-counter painkillers, hot and cold compresses, and reduced activity.
Conditions commonly linked to back pain
- Sciatica- Sciatica is a pain that results when your sciatic nerve is compressed or irritated. Sciatic pain normally radiates along your sciatic nerve which runs from your lower back to your feet
- Ankylosing Spondylitis- A type of arthritis that causes inflammation of your joints and ligaments along your spine and, over time your joints may fuse
- Spinal Stenosis- The narrowing of part of your spinal column that causes compression of the nerves inside.
- Spondylosis- Spinal degeneration such as osteoarthritis of the spine
- Osteoarthritis- Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis, a condition that causes joints to become painful and stiff.
To find out more information on the common conditions that could match your symptoms click here.
Solutions for your back pain
But there is no need to go on suffering with this pain. In many cases, much can be done to relieve it and Ramsay Health Care has a broad range of expertise offering back pain treatment to give sufferers the best possible chance of recovery.
As well as excellent clinical care, Ramsay hospitals offer the benefits of our Private Patient Pledge which aims to make your stay as comfortable as possible and ensure you get treatment at a time which suits you.
Benefits of Ramsay’s Back Care and Spinal service include:
- Physiotherapy and pain management options available
- Expert consultants for high quality outcomes
- Diagnostic facilities on site
- Personal service and care for your specific needs
- Choice of appointment and short waiting times
- Fast access to surgical treatment options if required