Search For A Specialist
Mr Chrys Dimitriou, MBChB(Hons) FEBOphth FRCOphth(El) FEBOS(Glau), Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, is a Specialist in Cataract Surgery and Glaucoma Treatments, as well as all General Eye Conditions.
Mr Dimitriou specialises in the management of adult glaucoma and cataract.
• Cataract surgery and intraocular lens implants (both routine and complex in far-sighted and short-sighted eyes with small pupils, angle closure, narrow chambers and co-existing glaucoma)
• Glaucoma (meticulous monitoring and up-to-date medical, laser and surgical treatments)
• Combined cataract-glaucoma procedures with micro-stents (relieving the burden of glaucoma drops)
Mr Dimitriou has completed comprehensive training in General Ophthalmology at The Royal United Hospital in Bath, The Prince Charles Eye Unit in Windsor and The Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford (2007-2012).
He received further sub-specialty training (Cataract and Glaucoma) at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals and Moorfields Eye Hospital in London (2012-2015). He also completed training in Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS) at The Royal Surrey County Hospital (2016 - 2017).
• Mr Dimitriou performed the first ever micro-stents and tubes for glaucoma in the region, in particular XEN45, CyPass, iStent and Baerveldt, while at Essex County Hospital, and continues to perform micro-tube implantations either as standalone procedures or combined with cataract surgery (more than 300 implants over the first 3 years – 2018 published results in the largest UK XEN study to date), attracting local media coverage
• Mr Dimitriou has a special interest in MIGS Stents and SLT Laser for glaucoma. He performs high volume Cataract Surgery, Moorfields safe-surgery-system Trabeculectomy and Aqueous Shunt (Tube) Surgery on a regular basis.
• Mr Dimitriou is actively involved in training junior doctors and fellows as an Educational Supervisor. He has been an invited speaker at national and international conferences. He serves as the local Principal Investigator for 3 major ongoing glaucoma Research trials.
In 2019, Mr Dimitriou was awarded Level 2 Clinical Excellence Award (L2CEA) for his services in Ophthalmology by The East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust.
Outside medicine, Chrys is a husband and father of 5 adorable children and spends most of his free time with his family. He thoroughly enjoys swimming, basketball and a good game of chess.
Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists – FRCOphth
Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmologists – FEBOphth
Fellow of the European Glaucoma Society – FEBO-S (Glaucoma)
United Kingdom and Eire Glaucoma Society - UKEGS
American Academy of Ophthalmology – AAO
Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology - ARVO
European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons – ESCRS
British Medical Association - BMA
Colchester Eye Centre of Excellence, Colchester General Hospital
Thursday (morning and evening) & Saturday (by prior appointment only)